Indo-German Center For Higher Education

FAQ – Living In Germany


Where will I stay?

The IGCHE universities will help you with lodging. In most cases, they will provide a room in a student hostel or a flat run by a Studentenwerk (a state-run non-profit organization for student affairs in Germany). You will usually get a room for yourself and a kitchen, shower and toilets to share with 3 to 5 other students. If there is no room in a hostel avaliable, for example due to short notice of arrival, the universites will will assist you in finding a place to stay.

Please note: You will have to clean up your residence by yourself. There is no segregation between girls hostels and boys hostels.

What can I eat?

During the day, you can eat lunch or get a snack at the university's canteen. They serve vegetarian and non-vegetarian meals. You will have to prepare breakfast and dinner by yourself, since there is no service at the hostels. There are plenty of grocery stores to buy food. You will also find that there is an Indian community in Germany, so you can get Indian spices and other Indian items in shops all over Germany.

How is the weather in Germany?

Different from India. In summer temperatures often get as high as 30 °C, but in winter it can get as cold as about 15 °C below zero. In spring and autumn, you can expect everything in between. So you will most probably see a lot of snow in winter and you have to be prepared with appropriate clothing. Of course, all student hostels have heating.

Is Germany a safe place?

In international ranking, Germany is a safe country. There is no reason to be excessively worried about crime. People move about freely through German country villages or large cities, day or night, without taking special safety precautions. German police are regarded as being helpful and reliable. You can call the police free of charge from any telephone in Germany by dialling 110.

Are there other international students in Germany?

According to a recent British Council survey, German higher education institutions are the most internationalised ones (see Times of India article). So you will find lots of other students from all over the world.

What are the surroundings like?

This depends on the university where you will stay. Universities from very different areas of Germany take part in the IGCHE programme, so please look at the universities' presentations at this site.

How much will I spend for living?

According to the DAAD (German Academic Exchange Service), you can expect having to spend about 800 € (72,000 INR) per month for rent, food, clothing, insurance etc.

In addition you will have to pay for the study fee to the universities (about 270 Euros per semester) PLUS an administrative fee to IGCHE of 1000 € in total.

Will I get paid for the internship?

In most cases you can expect a payment for your internship. The salary depends on the size of the company and other variables, so it is not possible to give exact figures. According to experience, it will be around 400 € per month.

What about leisure activities?

Traditionally, German towns with a university have a rich cultural life. You can expect all kind of cultural offerings like concerts, theatre, movies and other events. Most universities offer sport facilities for their students and the student body regularly organizes sport or cultural events. In winter you can go skiing.

Do I need a car?

No, you don't need a car. As a student you will get a public transport ticket for traveling in a large area around your university (usually the whole state) without additional costs. Germany has a very dense and good public transport system.

Can I travel to other European countries?

In order to travel to Germany, you will need a student visa. It is valid for 3 months, but only for Germany. After that, you will get a residence permit for Germany. Since Germany is a Schengen country, you then are allowed to travel to all the other Schengen countries, that is, most European countries (Austria, Belgium, Finland, France, Greece, Italy, Netherlands, Norway, Portugal, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland etc.). Please look at this Wikipedia article on the Schengen Agreement.

Where can I get more information on life as a student in Germany?

Probably the best source of information on being a student in Germany is the DAAD website.

Do I have to take the exams in Germany in German language?

All lectures in Germany will be held in German language which means you will have to take all exams in German language which is the reason why you start to learn German in you first semester in India.

How many times I can take an exam?

Each course/lecture exam can usually be taken three times.

Do I have to write my thesis in German language?

Depending on the subject and lecturer the thesis can be written in English or German.


Disclaimer: The information in this FAQ has been thoroughly put together and checked for errors. However, we cannot guarantee that information is accurate or up to date. You are advised to contact IGCHE by phone or email before acting upon information given in this FAQ. Anyone using this FAQ and acting on information published on it does so at their own risk.


By closing this message, you consent to our cookies on this device in accordance with our cookie policy unless you have disabled them.